Monday, March 1, 2010

Writing: Check!

Since the beginning of time, I have had trouble with time management. (I’m also a fan of hyperbole. I find it amusing in almost any situation whether the amusement is intentional or not.) But enough about my bizarre literary affinities... what I am trying to say is that this post is long overdue. However, the time I have spent not writing has been spent thinking about writing, which I suppose is progress from where I was this time last year.

Moving on...

Here in Michigan, March 1st has introduced us to the first signs of Spring! The permafrost has started to thaw and I am only wearing three layers (opposed to the five layers that I have become so accustom to). The start of a new month has also motivated me to reflect on the resolutions met so far this year, while looking forward to new projects.

In January, I vowed to start a writing project that wouldn’t crash and burn the next day. In fact, I designed an outline that should keep me writing consistently throughout the year. For a girl with 29846928346 half filled journals lining the mini-apartment’s windowsills, this is quite a feat. My writing resolution has already faced its share of challenges. (The first week, I almost convinced myself to abandon the whole idea and start an online journal about the pleasures and perils of being a free-spirited control freak—an idea that I am still pretty in love with and have carefully filed away among all the other ideas hibernating on said windowsills).

Fortunately, my better half talked me out of starting yet another project before the current one even had a chance to really begin. (He’s good like that.) So, here we are a couple of months later and I am staying true to my original idea. Each month of 2010, I’ll focus on a different interest from my growing life’s to do list until I learn to develop these hobbies/talents. And I will write about/photograph each of these adventures along the way to help salvage any writing/photography skills I may have once had.

Since it is now March, and I specifically carved time out of my day to sit at Biggby’s with my trusty Macbook stuffing my ears with some good ole’ Broken Social Scene to get the word juices flowing, I am considering January’s resolution (to start a writing project and stick with it) as a success… in progress.

Stay tuned for an update on February’s resolution: learning how to make wheel thrown pottery. (Think Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze in Ghost… minus the Swayze/love making and plus some kick ass women who just happened to sign up for a Wednesday night class together!)

No comments:

Post a Comment